Sunday, February 24, 2008

Everyday is Like Sunday, Except for Blue Monday and Ruby Tuesday, and...Well, Friday I'm in Love: Weekly Mix #5


It may still be winter where I live (though it's getting slushier everyday), but I felt like making a mix of mellow music that would be suitable for spring. As much as I do appreciate and revel in gloom and melancholy gray skies, I have always liked spring because it is the perfect temperature - not freezing cold and not blazing hot, which are the main options when you live in the centre of Canada. I'm also a pretty big fan of autumn because of the similar moderate temperature and the vibrant colours of leaves before they fall to the ground, but everything seems bright and new in spring and the air is the freshest it will ever be. Perhaps the light feeling that spring gives me stems from childhood when I was finally allowed to go outdoors with regular clothes on - as opposed to being bundled from head to foot like an arctic mummy - and I could walk to the corner store and buy a Slurpee or a Freezie again. With spring comes Easter, and thus rabbits, which have a talismanic effect on me because they've been my favourite animal since I can remember. I could be perfectly happy sitting in a massive field surrounded by rabbits (however, this may be an indication that I should be sectioned). As I've grown up and far more cynical, spring is one of those things, along with British countryside and the Mediterranean Sea, that can give me a flash of the hope and anticipation I had as a child.


The beauty of music, and a large part of the reason I love it so much, is that it has the power to transport you to either a past memory or a completely imaginary place. All of songs in this mix give me that feeling of renewal and peace that staring at Monet's painting Roses did and in that way I always imagined fantasy worlds like Wonderland and Narnia to be. Like that impossible hopeful feeling that you might just get to follow a white rabbit somewhere completely new and where rules no longer make sense. I'm calling this mix Rose-Tinged Monocle.


If She Wants Me - Belle & Sebastian

Reunion - Stars

Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken - Camera Obscura

Secret Kiss - Black Umbrella

He's On the Phone - Saint Etienne

Too Young - Phoenix

Bewilderbeast - Badly Drawn Boy

Carolyn's Fingers - Cocteau Twins

You Needed More - The Sleepy Jackson

Young Folks - Peter, Bjorn and John

Freewheel - Duke Special

Bowl of Oranges - Bright Eyes

Waking for Winter - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

I Me You I'm Your - Jim Noir

Small Town Crew - The Brunettes

Comforting Sounds - Mew

It Doesn't Matter Anymore - Puressence

Suffused With Love - Sondre Lerche

Cherry Blossom Girl - Air

The Worst Taste in Music (Extended Version) - The Radio Dept.

Black Flowers - Yo La Tengo


Weekly Mix #5 (Megaupload)

No comments: