Sunday, May 25, 2008

Everyday is Like Sunday, Except for Blue Monday and Ruby Tuesday, and...Well, Friday I'm in Love: Weekly Mix #18

It's cover version time again. I've had several of these accumulating since the first weekly mix of covers, and I felt it's been long enough of a break. I still marvel at the way other artists can make me enjoy a song I would never have listened to by the original artist. Case in point: the video clip above featuring Kate Bush singing Elton John's Rocket Man. Also, in this week's mix, I ended up picking two Beatles tracks covered by Nina Simone and Siouxsie and the Banshees, and I'm not really a Beatles fan to begin with. Somehow Siouxsie and the Banshees managed to make me re-imagine Dear Prudence in a way I never would have with the original - now I see a mysterious, dark little girl who won't leave her room.

Looking at this particular mix, it seems I've subconsciously went a bit 80's with covers of Billy Idol, Madonna, Oliva Newton-John, New Order and The Smiths. I've also included the utterly Canadian cover version - Corey Hart's completely ridiculous Sunglasses at Night by fey Montreal DJ, Tiga, who actually manages to make the song cool...well, maybe just a bit less embarrassing. And to avoid confusion for some, It's Not Over Yet is not an original Klaxons tune, so Goldfrapp is actually covering a cover and/or covering the original by Grace - I like her fragile, stripped-down version nonetheless, far more haunting than the Klaxons. One of my favourites in this mix is the cover of I Wanna Be Your Dog by French artist Emilie Simon - it's startling and lovely at the same time as her child-like voice croons over bizarre feedback and dreamy melody. Another favourite is John Cale's version of LCD Soundsystem's All My Friends (arguably one of the best tracks off Sound of Silver). I'll call this mix It's Never Over Yet.

Dancing With Myself - Nouvelle Vague (Original: Billy Idol)

I Don't Wanna Grow Up - Cold War Kids (Original: Tom Waits)

Like a Virgin - Ryan Adams (Original: Madonna)

You Will - Snow Patrol (Original: Bright Eyes)

It's Not Over Yet - Goldfrapp (Original: Grace)

I Wanna Be Your Dog - Emilie Simon (Original: Iggy & The Stooges)

Gimme Shelter - Patti Smith (Original: The Rolling Stones)

Here Comes the Sun - Nina Simone (Original: The Beatles)

Dear Prudence - Siouxsie & the Banshees (Original: The Beatles)

Sunday Morning - James (Original: The Velvet Underground)

I Just Came to Tell You I'm Going - Jarvis Cocker and Kid Loco (Original: Serge Gainsbourg)

The Headmaster Ritual - Radiohead (Original: The Smiths)

Ceremony - Galaxie 500 (Original: New Order)

All My Friends - John Cale (Original: LCD Soundsystem)

Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Saint Etienne (Original: Neil Young)

Frontwards - Los Campesinos! (Original: Pavement)

Get It On (Bang a Gong) - Power Station (Original: T.Rex)

Let's Get Physical - The Black Ghosts (Original: Olivia Newton-John)

Always on My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (Original: Elvis Presley)

Sunglasses at Night - Tiga (Original: Corey Hart)

No comments: