Sunday, June 1, 2008

Everyday is Like Sunday, Except for Blue Monday and Ruby Tuesday, and...Well, Friday I'm in Love: Weekly Mix #19


It's been feeling like it will never be summer where I am, but I decided to make a mix for it anyhow. Summer isn't my favourite season, mainly because it's too hot and sunny - I often become an indoor dweller through the three months that we actually have a semblance of summer. Not to mention I don't enjoy the prospect of donating my blood to mosquitoes (after a few hours out in a friend's backyard this weekend, I already have six bites on my legs, which had been covered with thigh-high socks). I prefer travelling if I can, but this year, my summer is devoted to finishing my MA thesis, and so I must toil, otherwise unemployed, trying not to scratch my mosquito bites.

So, I've made a mix to raise my spirits. It seems many artists like to include "summer" in their song titles - I suppose, for most people, summer is a time of rest and celebration. In many respects, summer has gone the way of Christmas for me, meaning it used to be hugely exciting and wonderful as a child, but as I grew up it just lost all its magic. I'm going to include several songs that are rather twee in nature and finish it off with some more danceable electro tracks. I'm going to call it Summer of '08.


Another Sunny Day - Belle & Sebastian

Summershine - Strawberry Whiplash

Summer Swirl - Bouquet

Summer Days - Phoenix

British Summer Time - The Boyfriends

Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO

A Summer Chill - This Is Ivy League

Le soleil est pres de moi - Air

Swim - Ambulance Ltd.

Summer Babe (Winter Version) - Pavement

Holiday Hymn - Orange Juice

Beach Bum - Flowers Forever

Pool Side Music - Bridge

Pacific Palisades - Ash

White Palms - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Noisy Summer - The Raveonettes

Hot in the City - Billy Idol

Summer Party - Breakbot

Heatwave - IAMX

No comments: