Sunday, April 6, 2008

Everyday is Like Sunday, Except for Blue Monday and Ruby Tuesday, and...Well, Friday I'm in Love: Weekly Mix #11


This week is all about dancing all night. I myself have never actually danced for an entire night - one of the main reasons is I've never found a place I would actually like to do so. My music tastes can be pretty picky so finding appropriate nightlife can be a problem, especially in my home city. I'm more likely to attend a late live gig rather than rave unto the sunlight. I'm also not going to pretend to be an expert on dance music and/or the myriad of electronic subcultures and/or who the best DJs are and/or the techniques behind creating and mixing electronic music. If I like it, I will dance to it.

I fully intend to go to the Stay Beautiful club night in Camden, London one day. Rather than an elitist club full of people that have to know the latest cutting-edge music of some obscure genre, Stay Beautiful plays music for fun and for the benefit of anyone who comes - a mixture of sleazy glam, new wave, punk, electro, and alternative anthems - and the people who go get dressed up as outrageously as they can, a 21st century-take on the patrons of Blitz. Of all clubs and club nights, it would probably be one of the most perfect ones for someone like me (ie: someone whose music tastes don't match one particular subculture and someone who enjoys the fun in glamming up). I managed to miss it three times the last time I was over in the UK - because it only runs on the first Saturday of every month, it never fell within the parameters of my trip plans. I'm going to call this mix How to Survive in the Nightlife.

I'm not going to include a zip file of the mixes anymore because it seems I often don't have enough time to get them up on time, and I don't think there are too many people who will miss them. If anyone has any objections, let me know.

24 Hour Party People (Jon Carter Mix) - Happy Mondays

Nightlife - IAMX

The Girls - Calvin Harris

Night on Fire - VHS or Beta

Fancy Footwork - Chromeo

It's the Beat - Simian Mobile Disco

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk

Pleasure From the Bass - Tiga

Love + Pain - Clor

Ready for the Floor - Hot Chip

I Wanna Be Your Slave - The Knock

Wake Up - The Sunshine Underground

I Need Your Love - The Rapture

Swastika Eyes - Primal Scream

Movement - LCD Soundsystem

Mandarine Girl - Booka Shade

Alala - CSS

Ooh La La - Goldfrapp

Tombstone - Midnight Juggernauts

Life After Sundown - Glass Candy

No comments: