Sunday, November 23, 2008

Everyday is Like Sunday, Except for Blue Monday and Ruby Tuesday, and...Well, Friday I'm in Love: Weekly Mix #44


As promised, this week's mix is of songs from 2008. There are hundreds and hundreds of songs I could have picked for this compilation, but I was also trying to keep track of the songs I want to include throughout my countdown of top 2008 albums beginning this Friday (like the music addict that I am, I ended up expanding my list to a top 35 albums rather than a top 25). So, if you don't see particular tracks here, there's a high probability they will show up at a later date. My brain is becoming a little overtaxed as I compile the list of this year's releases, major labels and not-so-major labels, and I still have a fair bit of work listening and deliberating. It's gotten to the point where I've assumed albums released in January were actually from last year. I've become a bit like the Stasi of music.

Having dispensed with that preamble, I will move on to the mix itself. I tried to take into account some singles that I couldn't shake from my head, including the raspy, yelpy perfection of Kings of Leon's Sex On Fire, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' rather excalamatory Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!, and Supergrass's White Stripesesque Diamond Hoo Ha Man. A few of the songs on this mix are from some of my top albums of the year, but you'll have to wait to find out which ones they may be (not to mention they could always change anyway). For the most part, I kept to songs from more major artists (of course in my blog bubble world, I start to lose perspective and many of the artists I think are wildly popular and too obvious are apparently...not, and I'm left looking rather ovine). Consider this mix to be a mere appetizer in an eight-course meal and a small reminder of some of the songs released in 2008. This mix is called Mini Quiche.

Girls & Boys - The Subways

Up All Night - The Young Knives

The Beginning of the Twist - The Futureheads

Diamond Hoo Ha Man - Supergrass

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon

Being Here - The Stills

Paris - Friendly Fires

Kids - MGMT

Paris is Burning - Ladyhawke

You Cross My Path - The Charlatans

Paper Planes - M.I.A.

Olive Eyes - frYars

Little Bit - Lykke Li

Caravan Girl - Goldfrapp

Rockist Part 4 - School of Language

An Eluardian Instance - Of Montreal

Galaxy of the Lost - Lightspeed Champion

Chemtrails - Beck

Shiller - Ratatat

Death Take Your Fiddle - Spiritualized

Magic Doors - Portishead

2 comments:

vanouk said...

bonjour a tous
pour les amoureux du rock'n'roll un nouveau forum en francais ici,j'attends de nouveaux inscrits pour pouvoir discuter du bon vieux rock des annees 50-60

http://roll.forumactif.net/forum.htm

Rol said...

Interesting list - I look forward to reading your year end album countdown. (Suppose I should think about starting on my own too!)