Monday, November 17, 2008

My Year in Lists


This is a post to let you know about upcoming year-end attractions here at CTRNR. Considering it's nearing the end of the year, all music nerds are furiously compiling their lists - best singles, best albums, best artists. Since this is my first time doing it, I'm both a bit overwhelmed and excited. I'm pretty much like the music nut characters in High Fidelity, so I'm sure it will be fun. I have approximately 130 albums to consider, but I will attempt to be as thorough as possible, or die trying, or try dying, or do some tie dying.

Mark the following events on your calendar:

The November 23 edition of Everyday is Like Sunday, Except for Blue Monday and Ruby Tuesday, and...Well, Friday I'm in Love will feature some top songs of 2008.

Beginning November 28, every Friday until the new year will feature five albums in my Top 25 Albums of 2008 Countdown.

And finally, the last three Sundays of the year will feature the annual weekly mix round-up, where you will be able to download all of the year's mixes.

Also, if you feel so inclined, you can vote for your top 10 songs from the shortlist (or not so shortlist) below to have your voice heard for the Festive 50 at the lovely Contrast Podcast. Once you've compiled your list, email it to contrast.podcast@gmail.com by November 24. You may also give one song a negative vote if you are rather crotchety like me.

A.A. Bondy - Witness Blues (Daytrotter Session)
AC/DC - Rock n' Roll Train
Aimee Mann - Freeway
Arms - Kids Aflame
Beck - Gamma Ray
Ben Folds - Hiroshima (B B B Benny Hit His Head)
Ben Folds - The Frown Song
Ben Folds - You Don't Know Me
Billy Bragg - I Keep faith (solo version)
Billy Bragg - Old Clash Fan Fight Song
Bloc Party - Mercury
Bob Mould - The Silence Between Us
Brendan Canning - Hit The Wall
British Sea Power - Atom
British Sea Power - No Lucifer
British Sea Power - Waving Flags
Cat power - New York
Chad VanGaalen - Willow Tree
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
CSS - Rat Is Dead (Rage)
Dark Dark Dark - Junk Bones
David Byrne & Brian Eno - Strange Overtones
Death Cab For Cutie - I will Possess Your Heart
Death Cab For Cutie - You Can Do Better Than Me
Death Cab For Cutie - Your New Twin Size Bed
Delta Spirit - People C’Mon
DeVotchKa - Blessing In Disguise
DeVotchKa - The Clockwise Witness
Double Dagger - Catalogs
Elbow - Grounds for Divorce
Elbow - On a Day Like This
Elvis Costello and The Imposters - Stella Hurt
Felice Brothers - Frankie's Gun!
Felice Brothers - Greatest Show on Earth
Fleet Foxes - blue ridge mountains
Fleet Foxes - He Doesn’t Know Why
Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
Flight Of The Conchords - Business Time
Flight Of The Conchords - Ladies Of The World
Fred - Fear
Frightened Rabbit - Fast Blood
Frightened Rabbit - Good Arms Vs. Bad Arms
Frightened Rabbit - Keep Yourself Warm
Frightened Rabbit - My Backwards Walk
Frightened Rabbit - Poke
Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper
Frightened Rabbit - The Twist
Girl Talk - Play Your Part (Pt. 1)
Glasvegas - Daddy’s Gone
Glasvegas - Geraldine
Half Man Half Biscuit - National Shite Day
Half Man Half Biscuit - Totnes Bickering Fair
Hello Saferide - Anna
Hercules & Love Affair - Blind
Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor
Ida Maria - I Like You So Much Better When You Are Naked
Ida Maria - Oh My God
Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan - The Flame That Burns
Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
Jenny Lewis - Carpetbaggers
Jukebox the Ghost - Hold it In
Keane - Spiralling
Lykke Li - Little Bit
M.I.A. - Paper Planes
M83 - Kim & Jessie
Manhattan Love Suicides - Jonny Boy
Mates of State - My Only Offer
Melody Gardot - Love Me Like A River Does
MGMT - Electric Feel
MGMT - Kids
MGMT - Time To Pretend
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
My Morning Jacket - I’m Amazed
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Albert Goes West
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Midnight Man
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - We Call Upon The Author
Northern Portrait - I Give You Two Seconds To Entertain Me
Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines
Okkervil River - On Tour With Zykos
Orphans and Vandals - Mysterious Skin
Panic at the Disco - Nine in the Afternoon
Panic at the Disco - That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed)
Paul Weller - Have You Made Up Your Mind
Port O'Brien - I Woke Up Today
Portishead - The Rip
R.E.M. - Hollow Man
R.E.M. - Living Well Is the Best Revenge
R.E.M. - Supernatural Superserious
religious knives - basement watch
Robert Parker Vaughan - Crack Her Smile
Santogold - I'm A Lady
Santogold - L.E.S. Artistes
Santogold - Lights Out
School of Language - Rockist
She & Him - Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?
Shearwater - Rooks
Sigur Ros - All Alright
Sigur Ros - Festival
Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook
Sigur Ros - Inní mér syngur vitleysingur
Thao Nyugen - Bag Of Hammers
The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
The Fall - 50 Year Old Man
The Hold Steady - Ask Her For Adderall
The Hold Steady - Constructive Summer
The Hold Steady - Sequestered in Memphis
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
The Just Joans - What D We Do Now
The Raconteurs - Carolina Drama
The Raconteurs - Salute Your Solution
The Roy Hargrove Quintet - Strasbourg/St Denis
The Shortwave Set - No Social
The Stills - Being Here
The Wedding Present - Boo Boo
The Wedding Present - Don't Take Me Home Until I'm Drunk
The Wedding Present - Spiderman On Hollywood
The Weeks - Buttons
The Weepies - Antarctica
The Whigs - Right Hand on My Heart
The Young Knives - Up All Night
They Might Be Giants - Seven Days Of The Week (I Never Go To Work)
TV On The Radio - Golden Age
Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
Vampire Weekend - Oxford Comma
Vampire Weekend - The Kids Dont Stand A Chance
Vanilla Swingers - I’ll Stay Next To You
Vivian Girls - Where Do You Run To
Weezer - Pork and Beans
Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby - Here Comes My Ship

Have fun compiling your lists as I finish up mine.

2 comments:

Tim Young said...

Nice choice of picture .. it looks like my house .. I WISH!! :)

... thanks for plugging the contrast vote. Fingers crossed that the votes will roll in.

T.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry I was unable to vote - its taken forever to reload all my songs after the PC crashed, and I havent been able to get round my favourite places for ages.

Hope you forgive me...